Skip to main content

The Pre-pool Shower

The Awful Story

The other day, I was having a swim at the 24 Fitness pool down the street. 200 Free, 200 Back, 200 Breast, and then SPLASH! A huge, hairy guy cannonballs into the water in the lane next to me. Revolting. The crash startled me so much that it stopped me dead in my wake. I just stood there with my mouth open in the middle my lane.

"B-Tan, is that you?" Brent and Doug, some old friends, summoned me to visit with them in the hot tub.

Distracted, I exited the pool and caught up with my pals in the tub. While I was soaking my legs over the next 15 minutes, I witnessed at least three, sweaty dudes emerge from the steam room and sauna and jump directly into the nearest swim lane to cool off.

[I FELT ANGER!]

Every time it happened, I screamed in my head, "SHOWER FIRST!" But of course, I didn't say anything. (I never say anything--except for that one time when the words sneaked out of my lips and nasal cavity through clenched teeth, but I don't think he heard me since he was still underwater--but his girlfriend sure did.) Aside from that singular experience, the most dramatic thing I did was widen my eyelids at them and then attempt to ocularly direct their attention to the conspicuous sign, posted, as required by public health regulations, that read:

"All persons are required to take a cleansing shower before entering the pool."

I tried really hard to contain myself this time. I keep eye-contact with Brent while he explained to me the features of his new website. His ideas were excellent; but I just couldn't concentrate. I felt bad. Instead, I was working through politically correct scenarios in which I could express my feelings about pool-contamination with those blissfully ignorant miscreants who kept dropping into the pool like lemmings.

Here are some possible arguments I came up with:

1. The health regulation sign asks us to shower first.

2. "I feel" appreciative when everyone does their part to keep the pool as clean as possible since I am the one who ingests mouthfuls of waste products shed from other peoples' bodies throughout the course of a workout.

3. Jumping into the middle of lanes haphazardly disrupts the workouts of other serious swimmers.

4. I can smell/taste the shampoos and colognes that people wear into the pool. That stuff must be super-strong because it only takes a little bit to permeate the pool. (Strawberry flavored shampoo and Lacoste's ELEGENCE seem to be the most poopular.)


Not to mention the next, some-what frightening, rule stated on the list:
"No person with a communicable disease is allowed to use the pool."

If that doesn't strike fear into swimmers, I don't know what would! I decided to conduct further research before running my mouth.

History Behind the Required Pre-Swim Shower . . .

The reason a shower is required before entering the pool is that an infectious organism could be living on your skin and the shower is intended to reduce or eliminate the risk that you will expose others in the pool to that organism.

However, for those people who do take a shower before entering a pool, it is not likely that the quick rinse or even use of soap and water will do much to change what must be a very low risk in the first place. The acid level and chlorine in swimming pools already kills most infectious organisms (though cryptosporidia is a notable exception which we experienced last Summer at a public pool here in Utah Valley); and other than bacterial infections (that are spread by water contaminated with feces), most organisms living on your skin are of no risk to others anyway.

I looked into it and those health codes were established when we didn't know a lot about the dissemination of diseases; they were meant as more of a precautionary measure than anything else.


Why are the rules kept in place if they are out of date?

Even though those health codes are obsolete, who's to say that requiring showers of everyone entering a pool — even if it's unnecessary — is particularly harmful? On the other hand, the Public Health Department may just be lazy and not want to pay for the 25 million pool signs that are posted around the US. However, if a person with Hep A or an active bacterial infection is kept out of the pool because of his or her "communicable disease," that would be a discriminatory lawsuit waiting to happen; maybe there is a purpose after all.

Conclusion

So, it turns out there is no significant scientific evidence for me to be upset with "Pool-Ploppers." But that doesn't mean that I still don't like the idea of sucking up unnecessary mouthfuls of other peoples' sweat and body waste. My plight is not completely unlike that of the vegetarian or PETA advocate. We both fight for ideals as opposed to what is reasonable and convenient.

Do you think it would be appropriate for me to share my feelings, in a private and discreet way, with "Pool-Ploppers?" At the very least, tell me that I am justified if feeling grossed out!

Comments

  1. Yeah, but it would reduce the amount of hairspray, makeup, cologne, and sweat floating in the water. Chlorine tastes bad enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Disgusting. One good reason I don't swim for exercise. I have more than enough poop in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a well-written post. I was laughing in my head, and out my mouth :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ew ew EWWWWWW!!!! That is exactly why I hate swimming! Okay, I love swimming, I just hate thinking about what else has been in there. I know it's "sanitized" but still, you make a good point--do we really have to deal with disgust even if it is "harmless?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I confirm all the information related to this post. Bryan, I can't believe you failed to mention the overweight old guy in the hot tub with us who visibly had communicable diseases and wouldn't stop telling racist jokes. We need a new hang-out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you write scripts? This is awesome content! Hilarious. Yes, its nasty. I hate public pools and hot-tubs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you must've gone to the store after your workout to sniff some shampoos/colognes to get which ones were the most popular.
    I hate the amount of chlorine in pools--it destroys my skin. So, if people would shower, maybe less chlorine and other chemicals would need to be added.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts.

Popular posts from this blog

Rummi-"CUB" vs. Rummi-"CUBE"

The "Rummikub" Pronunciation Debate Affirmative Constructive: "Cub" For years, I have been a firm advocate and defender of the pronunciation, Rummi-"CUB".  The game box I grew up with spelled it, Rummicub  on the box. However, other productions of the game have variant spellings: Rummykub , Rummy Kube , Rummy Tiles , etc.  Based solely on box spelling, the game's true pronunciation is open to interpretation. Therefore, Rummi"cub" is equally acceptable to any other given pronunciation. Negative  Constructive : "Cube" My opponents argue that since the game originated over seas, we ought to respect and maintain its original pronunciation. Affirmative Rebuttal: Americanization of the Term When the game was brought to America and given Americanized rules, its name was also Americanized. Pronunciation loyalists then counter my rebuttal with, "there are lots of adopted foreign words that have retained their original pron

The Secret Reason Why "Good Witch" Feels Emotionally Off

TL;DR It's the Botox. For the past 3 months, my wife, Stacia, and I have been watching  Good Witch  (via Netflix and Amazon Prime). Stacia adores winding down to "Hallmark-y shows." We can rely on Good Witch episodes to always resolve happily. The episodes are never too intense. The height of conflict revolves around things like someone's inability to locate the perfect spot to snap a romantic photo for a new tourism brochure. I consider my time watching these shows spouse bonding time , and emotional training. My favorite thing about watching feel-good shows with Stacia is getting to observe her facial reactions to the on-screen drama. When two people lean in for a long-anticipated kiss, Stacia tucks her knees into her chest and frowns with her forehead while lifting her chin and bottom lip. While I'm typically unable to suspend my disbelief, Stacia seems completely entranced by the various characters' emotions. Wishing I could join her in being swept aw

Who's Got The Funk?

I am an amateur guitarist, and I've got no funk. My musical skills seem to lacking that special something . Great musicians have it . Those fortunate enough to have gotten hold of  it , create timeless hits. While musicians without it  fade into oblivion. After spending hours searching through Blues history websites and 1970's band documentaries online, I discovered what that special something  is thank to a (70% Man, 30% fish) character from the BBC show "The Mighty Boosh" named Old Gregg. He identified that  thing  as  The Funk ! But what exactly is The Funk ? Here is some dialogue from the show to help explain its origin and purpose: Old Gregg: You're a musician, yeah? Howard: Yes I am. Old Gregg: Butchya ain't very good, are ya? Howard: I'm one of the best in town. Old Gregg: Come on, I read your reviews. Hmm? You know what your problem is? Howard: What? Old Gregg: Ya ain't got the funk. You're all rigid. Hmm? You're l