Skip to main content

The Happy Girl at the Movies


Our FHE group drove to the dollar theater for a President's day showing of an animated film called The Tale of Despereaux. Unfortunately, every show in the entire theater was sold out. Upon our immediate return home, I was asked an awkward and disturbing question by an exuberant girl seated next to me:

"Are you O.K. Bryan? You seem so sad all the time."


How does one reply to a question like that in a car full of people? My first thought was that her inquiry was kind of insensitive and inappropriate, for two reasons. First, I barely knew this girl and she assumed that I would confide in her simply because she asked me to. I wondered if she grew so accustomed to people sharing their deepest feelings with her while on her mission that her habit of spiritual interrogation spilled over into normal life. Second, who asks such a poignant question to someone trapped in a packed car? There are only two possible responses in this situation. I could have added to the awkwardness of the situation by earnestly indulging her question. Or I could have countered with some witty rejoinder. I did what seemed least embarrassing for all of us; I said, "thank you."

I was already on edge because not long before that night, I had already concluded that I would detest dating this girl; I couldn't see us carrying on a conversation for more than 30 seconds. I understand that my inability to communicate reflects worse upon me than her, which sparked an interesting challenge in my mind. Maybe I should go on a date with her just for the sake of learning to appreciate her more.

I'm all about being honest with myself and with others, so it would be difficult to share my true intentions with her and still manage to convince her to go out with me. When I've been "honest" in the past, it has ALWAYS turned out badly. I should probably just let it go. Yet, I'm still fascinated with the idea of becoming comfortable enough around her to determine if her chirpy personality is real or counterfeit. (If you know who I'm talking about, be discreet enough not to mention any of this to her, as it would blow my cover if I intend to follow through with it.)

In retrospect, I felt personally attacked by this girl although that was clearly not her purpose. What did she base her accusation on? Did she incorrectly infer that I felt sad from a few circumstantial events:

1. I sat peacefully quiet while she felt the need to shatter any 2-second silence with feeble attempts at meaningful conversation (e.g. "How about them Dodgers" -- She's from LA.)

2. I diverged from walking with the group for a minute while I explored the new buffet next to the theater and to steal a "thanks for coming" mint. (Who would have guessed from the rodeo exterior decor that it was an oriental buffet?)

3. I wore my hood up on my puffy, orange coat. I was cold.


Was I just being (introverted) myself? Or did this girl, indeed, retain some powers of discernment from her mission days and see something in me that I did not?


Or was she really so shallow to assume that everyone in the world less-happy than she, must feel sad? If this is the case, I am happy to announce that there is a breakthrough medication that has just been FDA approved; it is acclaimed to be light years ahead of the currently popular drugs such as Ritalin, Adderall, and Dexedrine.



Maybe if our would-be date is going poorly, I'll crush up a couple of these babies and slip 'em into her drink:

FDA Approves Depressant Drug For The Annoyingly Cheerful

I'm interested in understanding how this girl thinks, so that I can resolve this issue about my own subjunctive mood. So even though I don't get along with her (right now), should I ask this girl out? If so, do I ask her under false pretenses? If not, how can I rectify my scientific aims?

Comments

  1. why would you even consider asking her out?Duh, not for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lig, Bryan, Lig! (Let it go)
    And Pat. (Pray about it!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. That's the first time I've ever heard that reason for asking someone out. Do what you want, dude. But asking someone out because they annoy you sounds like a sketchy idea to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Date her just to appreciate her more? Um...no.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't necessarily say that asking her out is the solution, especially if she really is as annoying as she sounds, but getting to know her wouldn't hurt--she may be a nice girl after all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dude...she sounds like "the one". Although her conclusion that you are sad may be false, we must infer that she is observing you. That is a good sign my friend. Jesus said pray for your enemies. I say, date your enemies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL!! I think she's a pretty cute girl. I'm not sure she's ready for a date yet though. So, you should ask her out. Amen to Bryson's comment.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts.

Popular posts from this blog

Rummi-"CUB" vs. Rummi-"CUBE"

The "Rummikub" Pronunciation Debate Affirmative Constructive: "Cub" For years, I have been a firm advocate and defender of the pronunciation, Rummi-"CUB".  The game box I grew up with spelled it, Rummicub  on the box. However, other productions of the game have variant spellings: Rummykub , Rummy Kube , Rummy Tiles , etc.  Based solely on box spelling, the game's true pronunciation is open to interpretation. Therefore, Rummi"cub" is equally acceptable to any other given pronunciation. Negative  Constructive : "Cube" My opponents argue that since the game originated over seas, we ought to respect and maintain its original pronunciation. Affirmative Rebuttal: Americanization of the Term When the game was brought to America and given Americanized rules, its name was also Americanized. Pronunciation loyalists then counter my rebuttal with, "there are lots of adopted foreign words that have retained their original pron

The Secret Reason Why "Good Witch" Feels Emotionally Off

TL;DR It's the Botox. For the past 3 months, my wife, Stacia, and I have been watching  Good Witch  (via Netflix and Amazon Prime). Stacia adores winding down to "Hallmark-y shows." We can rely on Good Witch episodes to always resolve happily. The episodes are never too intense. The height of conflict revolves around things like someone's inability to locate the perfect spot to snap a romantic photo for a new tourism brochure. I consider my time watching these shows spouse bonding time , and emotional training. My favorite thing about watching feel-good shows with Stacia is getting to observe her facial reactions to the on-screen drama. When two people lean in for a long-anticipated kiss, Stacia tucks her knees into her chest and frowns with her forehead while lifting her chin and bottom lip. While I'm typically unable to suspend my disbelief, Stacia seems completely entranced by the various characters' emotions. Wishing I could join her in being swept aw

Who's Got The Funk?

I am an amateur guitarist, and I've got no funk. My musical skills seem to lacking that special something . Great musicians have it . Those fortunate enough to have gotten hold of  it , create timeless hits. While musicians without it  fade into oblivion. After spending hours searching through Blues history websites and 1970's band documentaries online, I discovered what that special something  is thank to a (70% Man, 30% fish) character from the BBC show "The Mighty Boosh" named Old Gregg. He identified that  thing  as  The Funk ! But what exactly is The Funk ? Here is some dialogue from the show to help explain its origin and purpose: Old Gregg: You're a musician, yeah? Howard: Yes I am. Old Gregg: Butchya ain't very good, are ya? Howard: I'm one of the best in town. Old Gregg: Come on, I read your reviews. Hmm? You know what your problem is? Howard: What? Old Gregg: Ya ain't got the funk. You're all rigid. Hmm? You're l