Skip to main content

Philosophy: Morality of Living in a Second Skin


I just finished watching a documentary on the addiction of online gaming called Second Skin. This 94 minute film told the same story 10 different ways: whether you think so or not, massive multiplayer online role playing games, or MMORPG, will debilitate and ultimately destroy you, body and soul. All throughout, I was thinking to myself, "oh! So that's what the prophets have been talking about for the last decade!"


Film Synopsis from IMDB:

Second Skin takes an intimate look at computer gamers whose lives have been transformed by the emerging genre of Massively Multiplayer Online games (MMOs). World of Warcraft, Second Life, and Everquest allow millions of users to simultaneously interact in virtual worlds. Second Skin introduces us to couples who have fallen in love without meeting, disabled players who have found new purpose, addicts, Chinese gold-farming sweatshop workers, wealthy online entrepreneurs and legendary guild leaders - all living in a world that doesn't quite exist.

I was reading a few talks from last April's LDS General Conference and found gaming addiction applications in each of the articles. E.g. "Get On With Our Lives" by Elder Steven E. Snow.

Here's a hypothetical, moral scenario: You are physically handicapped. You are unable to speak. You are deformed and you can't walk. You create a second life character where you can virtually run and jump and laugh and contribute to a community in a way that you never could in real life. Now, here is the moral question--Would it be immoral to "live" in that realm rather than in this physical one?

(Take a moment to think.)

After 3 minutes of pondering on the question, my gut tells me that I cannot judge. Every situation really is different. And on top of it all, I can't even begin to imagine how different and discouraging those types of disabilities would be. Nevertheless, for the sake of argument, I'm going to risk sounding heartless by answering, "yes."

"Yes, from my LDS perspective, I believe it is morally wrong for any human being to live a virtual life." Now, hear me out. This is my reasoning. I believe in the eternal existence and progression of man. As Spirits, we all were sent from a pre-mortal home by heavenly parents to experience mortality, no matter the trial or the tragedy. Some individuals and families may have more challenges to face than others will in the 80 years they will spend here on earth. We are asked to endure these challenges and live faithful to the light and knowledge that we each possess. Therefore, can someone who only exists in Second Life earn Celestial glory? Yes. However, those who are happiest here on earth, learn to appreciate and give value to their real-life experiences, even the most difficult of trials. Not only do the scriptures promise that our earthly trials be for our profit and learning, but that we will never be given more than we are able to bare. We have plenty of examples of people who have endured unfathomable challenges without feeling disparaged by their physical societies, like Helen Keller and that motivational speaker who came to my jr. high school. President Hinckley had a comforting, familiar quote, something to the effect of, "In the end, all will be well. If it is not well, it is not the end yet."

From an eternal perspective, none of us are not going to want to miss out on even the worst moments or challenges of our brief, mortal lives. Why opt out of an opportunity of a "life time" [eternal existence]? My roommate Scott illustrated this point distastefully when he responded honestly to a "would you rather" question posed by our other roommate Matt. Matt asked, "would you rather eat ice-cream flavored poo or poo-flavored ice cream, assuming neither would hospitalize you or give you diseases and the only thing that changed in each was the flavor?" (Which would you choose?) Scott immediately responded that he would choose the poo-flavored ice cream! His reasoning was what really got to me. He said he just wanted to experience poo-flavoring for the heck of it; a curiosity not dissimilar to that of trying Harry Potter Bertie Botts® by Jelly Belly®. We must have opposition in all things. Otherwise, we would never know Good from Evil. Metaphorically speaking, MMOs are the fences that we sit on as our time on earth ticks away.

Comments

  1. Well thought out-I"m not sure you would have said the same thing a few years ago, would you? I'm tempted to say had I all those disabilities, I would probably live largely in the second life-but I'm not proud of it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts.

Popular posts from this blog

Rummi-"CUB" vs. Rummi-"CUBE"

The "Rummikub" Pronunciation Debate Affirmative Constructive: "Cub" For years, I have been a firm advocate and defender of the pronunciation, Rummi-"CUB".  The game box I grew up with spelled it, Rummicub  on the box. However, other productions of the game have variant spellings: Rummykub , Rummy Kube , Rummy Tiles , etc.  Based solely on box spelling, the game's true pronunciation is open to interpretation. Therefore, Rummi"cub" is equally acceptable to any other given pronunciation. Negative  Constructive : "Cube" My opponents argue that since the game originated over seas, we ought to respect and maintain its original pronunciation. Affirmative Rebuttal: Americanization of the Term When the game was brought to America and given Americanized rules, its name was also Americanized. Pronunciation loyalists then counter my rebuttal with, "there are lots of adopted foreign words that have retained their original pron

The Secret Reason Why "Good Witch" Feels Emotionally Off

TL;DR It's the Botox. For the past 3 months, my wife, Stacia, and I have been watching  Good Witch  (via Netflix and Amazon Prime). Stacia adores winding down to "Hallmark-y shows." We can rely on Good Witch episodes to always resolve happily. The episodes are never too intense. The height of conflict revolves around things like someone's inability to locate the perfect spot to snap a romantic photo for a new tourism brochure. I consider my time watching these shows spouse bonding time , and emotional training. My favorite thing about watching feel-good shows with Stacia is getting to observe her facial reactions to the on-screen drama. When two people lean in for a long-anticipated kiss, Stacia tucks her knees into her chest and frowns with her forehead while lifting her chin and bottom lip. While I'm typically unable to suspend my disbelief, Stacia seems completely entranced by the various characters' emotions. Wishing I could join her in being swept aw

Who's Got The Funk?

I am an amateur guitarist, and I've got no funk. My musical skills seem to lacking that special something . Great musicians have it . Those fortunate enough to have gotten hold of  it , create timeless hits. While musicians without it  fade into oblivion. After spending hours searching through Blues history websites and 1970's band documentaries online, I discovered what that special something  is thank to a (70% Man, 30% fish) character from the BBC show "The Mighty Boosh" named Old Gregg. He identified that  thing  as  The Funk ! But what exactly is The Funk ? Here is some dialogue from the show to help explain its origin and purpose: Old Gregg: You're a musician, yeah? Howard: Yes I am. Old Gregg: Butchya ain't very good, are ya? Howard: I'm one of the best in town. Old Gregg: Come on, I read your reviews. Hmm? You know what your problem is? Howard: What? Old Gregg: Ya ain't got the funk. You're all rigid. Hmm? You're l