Skip to main content

USU Registration Experience: Disappointed, yet Satisfied


The following is an email correspondence between me and the USU registrars office. I initiated the conversation after receiving only $322 out of the $650 I thought I was getting back after dropping a video editing class before the add drop date. (Apparently, it costs a lot of money to drop classes here at USU.)

Bryan:

To whom it may concern, my purpose in writing you is to find out what my "real" chances are for receiving a 100% refund for the one class that I dropped last Monday, the 14th of September.

When I discovered that Monday night that I was only going to receive only 50% tuition back I felt cheated by the University. This is my first semester at USU, and I was unaware of the university's negative reinforcement policy regarding adding/dropping classes after a certain date. When I added this elective course at the registrar's office on Sept. 4th, the nice lady that was helping me knew that I wasn't sure if I wanted to add it then or not and specifically told me that I wouldn't be penalized for dropping the class before the add/drop date. (The only documentation I have of our conversation is my tuition receipt, however, I could identify her, given the opportunity.)

If the course were $100, I wouldn't pursue restitution. However, as a first-year graduate student, each credit costs me $211. As I am currently unemployed, I was depending on this refund to pay my housing rent.

I have filled out a "request for refund form" from the registrar's office and am planning on turning it in tomorrow evening. Is there anything more, that you know of, that I can do to help me out? Please dialogue with me, either over email or feel free to call me anytime on my personal cell number.

Thank you for your help,
Bryan

The Registrars Office:

Bryan,

I have looked at the registration audit trail for your account and see that the dropped course, INST 6215-001, was registered via the web on August 28th and dropped via the web on September 14th. I have also looked at your payment audit trail and see that on September 4th you were helped by our staff assistant at the counter in making a payment to clear your account. I cannot verify your conversation with her, but the drop dates are clearly posted online and when asked, we give this date information over the counter. September 4th (the date of your payment) was the last day to receive a 100% refund for dropping courses as well the deadline to pay tuition and fee charges prior to being purged from classes. From September 5 – September 14, all dropped courses were given a 50% refund in accordance with university policy as approved by the State Board of Regents. Depending on the manner in which your question was presented, our counter person may not have understood what you were asking. She may have thought you were talking about the affect to your transcript, when in essence you were meaning the financial effect. She as 100% correct in her comment that if you dropped by the designated drop date that you wouldn’t see the affect. I apologize that I cannot give you more information at this time. If you would like to petition for a refund, this process is free, but not guaranteed, here is the link: http://www.usu.edu/registrar/forms/pdf/Request_for_Refund_Form.pdf Please make sure you have attached any applicable documentation on extenuating circumstances that will support your request.

In answer to your question on the “real” chances for receiving a 100% refund on your course, I cannot answer that question until your documentation has been submitted. As stated on the Request for Refund form:

Please be aware that refunding of tuition and/or fees is approved only upon demonstration of circumstances which are beyond the student’s control, including but not limited to: class cancellations, incapacitating illness, death in the immediate family, or other emergencies of this nature. DOCUMENTATION OF THESE CIRCUMSTANCES IS REQUIRED!

http://www.usu.edu/registrar/payment/pdf/2009-10%20USU%20tuition-fee.pdf

Above is the link to the tuition and fees table for you to view the actual cost of tuition. As a graduate student you would look at the GRADUATE – RESIDENT – INITIAL ENROLLMENT 2004+ column. For 12 credits, you were charged $2602.18 not including class fees. If you look at the first credit charged you will notice that the first credit is significantly more than the increment for each additional credit.

If, you choose to re-add the dropped course, you will need to submit a Petition for Late Add – graduate form http://www.usu.edu/registrar/forms/pdf/Late_Add_Form_Grad.pdf with the instructor’s signature as well as the dean of graduate studies authorization. The $100 late fee would be waived, and the tuition refund of 50% reversed. You have been issued a refund for $322.83 which would need to be returned to the university.

Thank you for your inquiry,

Melanie

Bryan:

Wow. Thank you, Melanie. This is exactly the information I was looking for. I appreciate the fact that you would look up my account history, explain the miscommunication and offer me possible solutions.

I will go ahead and turn my fund request form in today, and also look into the possibility of adding the class late.

Regards,
Bryan

Melanie at The Registrars Office:

Bryan,

The Associate Registrar, Bill Jensen, has reviewed your Request for Refund that was submitted on 9-17-09. This request has been denied.

Thank you for your inquiry,
Melanie

Bryan:

Thank you for your immediate response. The bottom line is I am lucky to be in a masters program that I love. I've been very impressed with the service I've received online and at the registrar's office.

I'm planning on re-enrolling in the class in-question on Monday. If I get the instructor to sign the petition for late enrollment, will I incur any additional fees?

Thanks,
Bryan

Melanie:

As I explained in the email chain yesterday, you have already been issued a refund of $322.83. This will need to be returned to the university at the time of registration.

Good luck in your class.

Bryan:

Right. Thanks. I'll be back by on Monday for that add form.

Comments

  1. A very well written response, I am impressed with their customer service. Sorry about the late fee though, that totally stinketh, especially for someone unemployed. I hope you find your way into some free money soon. (You could always open an acct with Chase for 125 cash!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! You have finally found yourself in a place that really takes itself seriously and cuts you no slack! So, if you get the class back, I'm unclear if you are actually out any money? I had no idea grad school was sooooooo $$$$$
    -yet peanuts compared to some schools!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts.

Popular posts from this blog

Rummi-"CUB" vs. Rummi-"CUBE"

The "Rummikub" Pronunciation Debate Affirmative Constructive: "Cub" For years, I have been a firm advocate and defender of the pronunciation, Rummi-"CUB".  The game box I grew up with spelled it, Rummicub  on the box. However, other productions of the game have variant spellings: Rummykub , Rummy Kube , Rummy Tiles , etc.  Based solely on box spelling, the game's true pronunciation is open to interpretation. Therefore, Rummi"cub" is equally acceptable to any other given pronunciation. Negative  Constructive : "Cube" My opponents argue that since the game originated over seas, we ought to respect and maintain its original pronunciation. Affirmative Rebuttal: Americanization of the Term When the game was brought to America and given Americanized rules, its name was also Americanized. Pronunciation loyalists then counter my rebuttal with, "there are lots of adopted foreign words that have retained their original pron

The Secret Reason Why "Good Witch" Feels Emotionally Off

TL;DR It's the Botox. For the past 3 months, my wife, Stacia, and I have been watching  Good Witch  (via Netflix and Amazon Prime). Stacia adores winding down to "Hallmark-y shows." We can rely on Good Witch episodes to always resolve happily. The episodes are never too intense. The height of conflict revolves around things like someone's inability to locate the perfect spot to snap a romantic photo for a new tourism brochure. I consider my time watching these shows spouse bonding time , and emotional training. My favorite thing about watching feel-good shows with Stacia is getting to observe her facial reactions to the on-screen drama. When two people lean in for a long-anticipated kiss, Stacia tucks her knees into her chest and frowns with her forehead while lifting her chin and bottom lip. While I'm typically unable to suspend my disbelief, Stacia seems completely entranced by the various characters' emotions. Wishing I could join her in being swept aw

Who's Got The Funk?

I am an amateur guitarist, and I've got no funk. My musical skills seem to lacking that special something . Great musicians have it . Those fortunate enough to have gotten hold of  it , create timeless hits. While musicians without it  fade into oblivion. After spending hours searching through Blues history websites and 1970's band documentaries online, I discovered what that special something  is thank to a (70% Man, 30% fish) character from the BBC show "The Mighty Boosh" named Old Gregg. He identified that  thing  as  The Funk ! But what exactly is The Funk ? Here is some dialogue from the show to help explain its origin and purpose: Old Gregg: You're a musician, yeah? Howard: Yes I am. Old Gregg: Butchya ain't very good, are ya? Howard: I'm one of the best in town. Old Gregg: Come on, I read your reviews. Hmm? You know what your problem is? Howard: What? Old Gregg: Ya ain't got the funk. You're all rigid. Hmm? You're l