Skip to main content

Song Analysis: Your Blood by Aurora

Do You Recognize the Melody?

When I first listened to Aurora's 2023 hit single, Your Blood, I was immediately reminded of Lovefool, a 1996 classic from fellow Scandinavians, The Cardigans. I assumed they were both singing about unrequited love, but I realized they told different stories as I spent more time with Aurora's piece.

Background Interview with the Artist

In this article, A Matter of the Heart, Aurora gives listeners a glimpse into the meaning behind her hit single, Your Blood.

My Analysis

Essentially, this album is a love story with Life, symbolized by the heart. Inspired by a letter written by Indigenous activists from Brazil, Aurora's album, What Happened to the Heart? echoes their global plea for us to act more from the heart and less with the mind. The assumption is that, unlike our ancestors, we have become disconnected from all living things, including ourselves, and especially from the heart. We have forgotten the heart. Consequently, pent-up rage frustrates us all. This rage divides us and leads to annihilation. Your Blood is a treasure map to a place of peace and abundance — an escape from impending doom. The first step is to fully feel the rage within us. This burning is the catalyst that returns our minds to our hearts. Once the rage burns off, we are emotionally ready to hear the blood pumping inside of our bodies. This mediation evokes profound, heart-felt questions about where our body and blood come from. Finally, as we naturally rediscover our connection with all living things, we will choose the path of healing, not self-destruction. We are the cure.

Here is my analysis of the creative evolution toward the final masterpiece:

This + (This x That) Your Blood A little bit of this Your Blood Remix (see 5:05)

Image created using Adobe Firefly

Song Lyrics

Your blood, what matter is it made of?
Do you feel it travel in and out your heart?
Needles, stitching up the big holes
You've prepared for battle, as you fell apart
Are you dust?
You are dust, dust
Your voice drowning in the white noise
Do you hear the echo begging you to let go?
(Let go, let go, let go)
This earth, whoever was it made for?
Just wait until tomorrow, it might not be as cold
(Cold, cold, cold, cold, cold)
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na
La-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-na-na
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na
La-la-la-da-da-da-da
When all inside you burns like a star
It's after you burn out that you are
Reborn again
Reborn again
And maybe if you called out for help
Then I could help you outrun yourself
Come run again
We'll run again
But I
I refuse to die
I refuse to die
But I
I refuse to die
I refuse to die (na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na)
(Na, na, na, na, na-ah)
And we are dust
Hm (na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na)
We are dust (la-la-la-da-da-da-da)
When all inside you burns like a star
It's after you burn out that you are
Reborn again, hm
Reborn again
And maybe if you called out for help
Then I could help you outrun yourself
Come run again
Come run again
We are dust
You are dust
You are dust
You are dust (dust)
You are dust
You are dust, hm
You are dust
Your blood, what matter is it made of?
Do you feel it travel in and out your heart?

Conclusion

In the end, Your Blood and Lovefool are thematically similar. They both tell the story of love lost. However, in Lovefool, the singer hopelessly yearns for reconnection. And in Your Blood, the cosmos calls out to us on a cellular and metaphysical level, hoping we'll listen.

"The cosmos is within us. We are made of star stuff. We are a way for the universe to know itself." —Carl Sagan, Cosmos Miniseries, 1980

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rummi-"CUB" vs. Rummi-"CUBE"

The "Rummikub" Pronunciation Debate Affirmative Constructive: "Cub" For years, I have been a firm advocate and defender of the pronunciation, Rummi-"CUB".  The game box I grew up with spelled it, Rummicub  on the box. However, other productions of the game have variant spellings: Rummykub , Rummy Kube , Rummy Tiles , etc.  Based solely on box spelling, the game's true pronunciation is open to interpretation. Therefore, Rummi"cub" is equally acceptable to any other given pronunciation. Negative  Constructive : "Cube" My opponents argue that since the game originated over seas, we ought to respect and maintain its original pronunciation. Affirmative Rebuttal: Americanization of the Term When the game was brought to America and given Americanized rules, its name was also Americanized. Pronunciation loyalists then counter my rebuttal with, "there are lots of adopted foreign words that have retained their original pron

The Secret Reason Why "Good Witch" Feels Emotionally Off

TL;DR It's the Botox. For the past 3 months, my wife, Stacia, and I have been watching  Good Witch  (via Netflix and Amazon Prime). Stacia adores winding down to "Hallmark-y shows." We can rely on Good Witch episodes to always resolve happily. The episodes are never too intense. The height of conflict revolves around things like someone's inability to locate the perfect spot to snap a romantic photo for a new tourism brochure. I consider my time watching these shows spouse bonding time , and emotional training. My favorite thing about watching feel-good shows with Stacia is getting to observe her facial reactions to the on-screen drama. When two people lean in for a long-anticipated kiss, Stacia tucks her knees into her chest and frowns with her forehead while lifting her chin and bottom lip. While I'm typically unable to suspend my disbelief, Stacia seems completely entranced by the various characters' emotions. Wishing I could join her in being swept aw

Who's Got The Funk?

I am an amateur guitarist, and I've got no funk. My musical skills seem to lacking that special something . Great musicians have it . Those fortunate enough to have gotten hold of  it , create timeless hits. While musicians without it  fade into oblivion. After spending hours searching through Blues history websites and 1970's band documentaries online, I discovered what that special something  is thank to a (70% Man, 30% fish) character from the BBC show "The Mighty Boosh" named Old Gregg. He identified that  thing  as  The Funk ! But what exactly is The Funk ? Here is some dialogue from the show to help explain its origin and purpose: Old Gregg: You're a musician, yeah? Howard: Yes I am. Old Gregg: Butchya ain't very good, are ya? Howard: I'm one of the best in town. Old Gregg: Come on, I read your reviews. Hmm? You know what your problem is? Howard: What? Old Gregg: Ya ain't got the funk. You're all rigid. Hmm? You're l