Skip to main content

Toward Imperfection

TL;DR — For the past 20+ years, I have begun to slowly release my need for perfection. My first step was to recognize that perfection was neither possible nor healthy. I then began moving toward greater personal calm, enthusiasm for life, & productivity by practicing mindfulness while cultivating a growth mindset philosophy by embracing imperfection.

Introduction

In an effort to make my blogposts more readable, I'm going to attempt to limit the content to "just the juicy, personal stuff" from now on. (I.e., No more meanderings through topics.)

This post has three sections. Each one includes a key phrase that serves as a snapshot of how I viewed my relationship with perfectionism during 3 different periods of my life. Additionally, I share a personal example to illustrate each key phrase.

1) I Need to Be Perfect

"Please bless me to do my best in everything I do."

This personal nightly prayer was one of the reoccurring events that solidified my perfectionistic tendencies as a child. Imagine my innocent and earnest 7-year-old voice squeaking this out. Little did I know, my desire to actively engage in life would prove to be a double-edged sword. For on the one hand, my abundance of positive psychology allowed me to approach life with abandon and passion unimagined by my peers. And since no one was old enough to be really good at anything yet, and I happened to have an aptitude for most things, I succeeded at not only doing my best, but performing better than the rest. (Naturally, I confused the two.) No one told me that eventually, I would not be the best at everything I tried. And so—gradually over time—I learned to stop participating in things as they became "harder." In hindsight, a better prayer might have been: "Please bless me to approach everything I do with focused effort and a good attitude."

Personal Example: Piano Lessons

One of the ways my perfectionism manifested itself at an early age was when I quit piano. At some point, I was no longer capable of memorizing sheet music, which necessitated that actually learn read the notes. That was the day I quit. My subconscious rationale was that if I had to show others I was imperfect (especially compared to my sisters), I wouldn't do it. Instead, I was permitted to pick up guitar, which allowed me to continue memorizing notes, and only required me to play a handful of favorite pieces.

2) It's Okay Not to Be Perfect

[Re: business ideas] "Any brilliant idea I come up with is wrong, until it is tested by my target audience."

This phrase was inspired by my university professor in my grant writing class. One week, our homework assignment was to come to class prepared with a problem we felt needed to be solved in the world and our solution for it. I worked very hard to come up with a problem that I thought I could solve. When we reunited as a class, our professor absolutely thrashed each of our ideas. His singular take-home message for us that day was this: without consulting your target audience, your business ideas will fail 99.99% time. In that moment, I realized I could never come up with the perfect solution to a problem on my own. But maybe perfection isn't the goal after all.

Personal Example: [Re: My Guilty pleasure] Yoked to the Savior

I still remember reading for the first time about when the Savior commanded His disciples to be perfect, I understood that it was absurd to believe perfection might be achieved on one's own, in this life. As reiterated by Elder Lynn G. Robbins in the April 2018 LDS General Conference, we know that God does not only think it's "okay" for us to be imperfect, it's part of His plan. According to LDS beliefs, God sent His spirit children to earth (without memories of Him or our lives as spirits before) in order for us to receive preparatory, mortal bodies and grow (through our use of agency) to become more like Him. This growth process involves being bad at first, but become better through effortful practice. But despite our best efforts, we can never be perfect on our own. Fortunately for us, Jesus Christ is at the center of God's plan. His atoning mission was to sanctify us before God, allow us to receive divine guidance to learn how to be more like Him. E.g., We, like regatta sailboats that don't sail straight, must tack back-and-forth along the strait and narrow path on a course towards exaltation.

3) Perfection Is An Illusion; A Non-existant Ideal.

"Direction (values) is more important than destination (goals)."

I've been occasionally seeing a cognitive behavior therapist for the past many months to help me think about the my perfectionistic tendencies. (It's been wonderfully productive.) He asks a lot of questions. For example, "why do I want certain things in life?" "Have any of my goals had ever disappeared for one reason or another?" "Does the fact that my sometimes-disappeared goals affect my overarching reasons for pursuing them?" "What if there were no finish line?" "What if I arbitrarily invent a finish line that ultimately doesn't have much significance?" And "Which serve as better emotional anchors—transitory goals, or permanent values?" This line of reasoning lead me to believe the conclusory phrase, "direction (values) is more important than destination (goals)."

Personal Example: Dissertation Writing

When I entered my IP&T graduate program at BYU, I was warned by countless professors, "Writer's block is real! Procrastination is a serious barrier! But the key to finishing a large document is to just write a certain number of pages a day. IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE GOOD. One approach some people find success with is to put your butt in your chair and forbid yourself from getting up until you've reached your goal. (As a perfectionist, the prospect of eternally siting in my chair terrified me, so I categorically—and foolishly—dismissed any writing advice offered.) 

"I didn't need any help writing!" I told myself. "I was a PhD student with plenty of experience under me. I loved writing. I was good at it. I'd always gotten by before. If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

It only took me 6 years to disabuse myself of the delusion that I was somehow superior to everyone else, and that this advice didn't apply to me.

Now, my entire mindset has changed. When I sit down to write, I choose to get excited about writing something truly horrible. And thanks to this new approach, I am no longer plagued by the the need to actively avoid writing a perfect draft. I just sit down, pick up where I left off, and plug away. Deadlines still freak me out a little bit. But my journey towards growth is ongoing.

Conclusion

Perfectionism = Bad
Growth = Good

P.s. I wish I could find an official workbook by Dr. Brené Brown to accompany her debut pop-psych book, The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You're Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rummi-"CUB" vs. Rummi-"CUBE"

The "Rummikub" Pronunciation Debate Affirmative Constructive: "Cub" For years, I have been a firm advocate and defender of the pronunciation, Rummi-"CUB".  The game box I grew up with spelled it, Rummicub  on the box. However, other productions of the game have variant spellings: Rummykub , Rummy Kube , Rummy Tiles , etc.  Based solely on box spelling, the game's true pronunciation is open to interpretation. Therefore, Rummi"cub" is equally acceptable to any other given pronunciation. Negative  Constructive : "Cube" My opponents argue that since the game originated over seas, we ought to respect and maintain its original pronunciation. Affirmative Rebuttal: Americanization of the Term When the game was brought to America and given Americanized rules, its name was also Americanized. Pronunciation loyalists then counter my rebuttal with, "there are lots of adopted foreign words that have retained their original pron

The Power of Dim Lights

I want to be an under shepherd for Christ, but I fear my light is not super bright. Is my dim light enough? Dim Lightbulb  by  Aditya Vyas When I love people, I desire to be open with them. That includes the deep joy I find in my relationship with Jesus Christ. The Rub But here's the rub. When I hear "motivational" quotes like,  "If you want to give light to others, you have to glow yourself.”  And “Ours is the responsibility to keep our lights bright for others to see and follow.”  —Thomas S. Monson "Stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all  places" (Mosiah 18:9, emphasis added). "As we live the gospel, love and serve others, stand strong in the face of temptation and persecution, and bear testimony in word and deed, we will draw others to Jesus Christ" (" Our Call to Share the Savior's Gospel ,"   Liahona,  July 2023, 7). I think: "You must be flawless before you can invite someone to be more like

The Secret Reason Why "Good Witch" Feels Emotionally Off

TL;DR It's the Botox. For the past 3 months, my wife, Stacia, and I have been watching  Good Witch  (via Netflix and Amazon Prime). Stacia adores winding down to "Hallmark-y shows." We can rely on Good Witch episodes to always resolve happily. The episodes are never too intense. The height of conflict revolves around things like someone's inability to locate the perfect spot to snap a romantic photo for a new tourism brochure. I consider my time watching these shows spouse bonding time , and emotional training. My favorite thing about watching feel-good shows with Stacia is getting to observe her facial reactions to the on-screen drama. When two people lean in for a long-anticipated kiss, Stacia tucks her knees into her chest and frowns with her forehead while lifting her chin and bottom lip. While I'm typically unable to suspend my disbelief, Stacia seems completely entranced by the various characters' emotions. Wishing I could join her in being swept aw