Skip to main content

Lessons in Teaching Photoshop


Tonight, I taught a group of BYU technologists how to use Photoshop to "touch up" images.  If I had tonight to do over again, here are five things I would have done very differently:

  1. I would have done a full run-through beforehand with real people.
  2. I would have called before arriving to confirm that someone would have been there to receive me.
  3. I would have taught my three main ideas up front, lightning fast (instead of staggering them haphazardly throughout the presentation).
    1. Photoshop is for COMBINING and ADJUSTING, not for CREATING.
    2. Use backwards design when planning out your final product.
    3. Don't be destructive.
  4. I would have dumbed it WAY down.
    1. Avoid sharing "my favorite tricks."
    2. If it's more than a three-click process, it's too much to retain.
    3. Show no more than two things per sitting.
    4. Then give them hands on practice, with coaching.
  5. I would have emailed them a list of resources and tutorials to view in preparation.

Live and learn.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rummi-"CUB" vs. Rummi-"CUBE"

The "Rummikub" Pronunciation Debate Affirmative Constructive: "Cub" For years, I have been a firm advocate and defender of the pronunciation, Rummi-"CUB".  The game box I grew up with spelled it, Rummicub  on the box. However, other productions of the game have variant spellings: Rummykub , Rummy Kube , Rummy Tiles , etc.  Based solely on box spelling, the game's true pronunciation is open to interpretation. Therefore, Rummi"cub" is equally acceptable to any other given pronunciation. Negative  Constructive : "Cube" My opponents argue that since the game originated over seas, we ought to respect and maintain its original pronunciation. Affirmative Rebuttal: Americanization of the Term When the game was brought to America and given Americanized rules, its name was also Americanized. Pronunciation loyalists then counter my rebuttal with, "there are lots of adopted foreign words that have retained their original pron

The Power of Dim Lights

I want to be an under shepherd for Christ, but I fear my light is not super bright. Is my dim light enough? Dim Lightbulb  by  Aditya Vyas When I love people, I desire to be open with them. That includes the deep joy I find in my relationship with Jesus Christ. The Rub But here's the rub. When I hear "motivational" quotes like,  "If you want to give light to others, you have to glow yourself.”  And “Ours is the responsibility to keep our lights bright for others to see and follow.”  —Thomas S. Monson "Stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all  places" (Mosiah 18:9, emphasis added). "As we live the gospel, love and serve others, stand strong in the face of temptation and persecution, and bear testimony in word and deed, we will draw others to Jesus Christ" (" Our Call to Share the Savior's Gospel ,"   Liahona,  July 2023, 7). I think: "You must be flawless before you can invite someone to be more like

Lil’ Alicia Keys On The Cosby Show

“ This is soul diva Alicia Keys before she was famous bouncing on Bill Cosby’s knee . The Empire State Of Mind singer was just four-years-old when she appeared on the Cosby Show with the comic legend who played family man Cliff Huxtable. Keys had just a brief appearance on screen as she took part in a sleepover with pals of the Huxtables’ daughter Rudy. Speaking of her appearance on the U.S. show, Keys said: ‘It was a really, really good memory for me. The whole cast was so cool. We would sit on that big, huge couch and stuff and we all had to sit on Cosby’s knee. He always tried to knock us off of his knee with the bucking horse thing. Of course, my favorite part was winning the game, because I was the winner.” ( 2 minute 41 seconds .) Slumber Party , Season 1 Ep. 22